Show me an example Saintjohnrailfan's Ultimate Adventures: Matt & Dave's Excellent Moncton Adventure

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Matt & Dave's Excellent Moncton Adventure

Well, Dave (nbsrfan) and myself ventured up to Moncton on Saturday morning to see what we could see by the way of trains. We had decided to head up and be there for about 4:45am, so that we could see CN 121 depart Moncton. When we arrived to the yard, all that was there was a shunt crew working away, as well as 3 engines sitting near the shops, which would be used later on 305.

After sitting around for a few hours, we ventured in to Moncton to head to Tim Hortons. We figured that we wouldn't miss a great deal, since it was still relatively early in the morning. Again, we ventured back to the yard. At around 7:30am, we met up with Luc Doiron. We chatted for a few. He made a quick call and informed us that as of 8:30am, a VERY late CN 120 was just making it's way through Chipman, NB, and should arrive in about an hour. Dave and I decided to venture over to Berry Mills for the shot. Unlike the other videos that I've shot there, we decided it was best to move to the other side of the tracks, so the sun wouldn't get in the shot. After driving around for a little bit, we set up shop, and at around 9:30am, CN 120 rolled through.

CN 120 stopped because 305 was on the main track into the yard getting their train ready. 120 sat for about an hour. Once 305 was ready, it came onto the mainline, the backed up, so that CN 120 could get into the yard. Finally, about 15 minutes after 120 departed, CN 305 came through.

After CN 305 went on it's way, Dave and I headed back in to Gort to see if there was any other action there. We caught CN 120 unhooking it's cars as well as one of their engines, 5647, which is currently being used on the Moncton/Saint John (405/406) run.

We heard VIA 14 get clearance from Pacific Junction to the Moncton station. We decided to make the trip out to Sackville, NB. It was only about a 20 minute drive from Moncton, but it was worth the trip out. Our plan was to catch VIA 14, CN 407 and 120 out here. We initially were expecting VIA to come through first, then 407. However, once we arrived in Sackville, we discovered the Amherst facing signal was showing green over red, indicating that 407 would actually be along first. We set up at the crossing at the Sackville VIA station. About 20 minutes later, CN 407 made it's way through.

VIA 14 was sitting at the siding in Evans, which is located just up the line towards Moncton. The scanner picked up VIA 14 leaving the siding, and calling signals all the way to Sackville. We decided to pick the very last crossing, and caught VIA 14 making it's way through. It ran right through the station, as it did not have any passengers to drop off or pick up.

We were told that CN 120 departed, but there was no indication of it what so ever on the scanner. Later on, we discovered that 120 most likely pulled into the siding at Painsec Junction to let CN 407 go by. About an hour after VIA went by, CN 120 came barreling through. We decided to head to the middle of the three crossings in the area, as it had a nice curve before the crossing. CN 120 rolled through with 1 less engine, and only half the cars it came into Moncton with.

After this last train came by, we ventured back into Moncton to return to Gort yard. We sat for about an hour. There was very little going on, other than yard crew shunting cars around and preparing for trains 406 and 408 in the evening. Apparently, CN 308 arrived at around 5pm, but it would have been difficult to get a good shot of it on the bridge, so we decided not to, and ventured back to Saint John, taking the old road, which follows the Sussex Sub to Petitcodiac.

Our scanners picked up CN 405 at McCully's, which is located in Penobsquis, just outside of Sussex. They were there to drop off their cut of potash cars from Saint John. We arrived there just in time to see 405's engines in the siding dropping the cars. About 20 minutes after we arrived, CN 405 continued on it's way to Moncton with it's remaining 100 cars.

Once they departed, so did we. That was it for the day. After a disappointing start to the day (missing 121), we managed to turn thing around. Overall, definately worth the trip. It's worth doing again, soon.


Train Geek said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Good post.

jddc.trains said...

Great post, awesome adventure and nice HD videos!