Show me an example Saintjohnrailfan's Ultimate Adventures: Early Morning In Chipman

Friday, July 17, 2009

Early Morning In Chipman

On Wednesday, I decided to make a trip up to Chipman early in the morning to see if I could catch any trains. I drove by Chipman, and arrived in Hardwood Ridge around 4:45am. I noticed a green over red signal, which meant that CN 121 was due to arrive shortly. At around 5am, CN 121 came barreling through with 2560 as it's leader hauling 174 cars.



I waited around there for another 45 minutes. After a quick trip into Minto to Tim Hortons, I decided that the best plan would be to head in to Moncton, as it was only about an hour away and it would probably be another 4 hours before a train passed through. I arrived in Moncton at around 7am. I saw 305's and 406's power sitting at the shops. Once 305 came on duty and hooked on to their train, I ventured over to Berry Mills. Nothing was being said on the scanner, which was kind of weird. My scanner was acting up for some reason..as it couldn't even pick up the hotbox detector at Odlum (about 1.5 miles away). Fortunately, I could hear the engines rumbling undearneath the highway, so I knew it was coming. At around 8:45am, CN 305 came by with IC 2720 leading and a whopping 163 cars in tow.



My next, and final plan, was to chase CN 406 back to Saint John. At around 10am, it departed Gordon Yard. I first caught it at Scott Road, located west of Salisbury, NB. CN 2232 was the leader, hauling a small 39 cars.



I didn't do too much video'ing of the train, I snapped a few photos of it instead (which are still on my camera). I decided for the final shot that I would catch it going over the Hammonds River Bridge, located outside Hampton, New Brunswick.



Not a bad trip, and I was even home by lunch time!

No comments: